Sep 14, 2011

From Monas with one proud smile

Dear my fellow Indonesian friends. I have a confession to make.
As much as I complain, nag, whine or bursting a plaintive cry about all the inconveniences and insecurities lays in this country, truth is… I am not sure that I have done enough too. Being one lawfully citizen of this beautiful yet rich country? Yes, I pay my taxes. Yes, I know how to queue obediently, I support the home industry by using their product just as much as I use the local ones and never purchase any bootleg recordings. However, I know that I can do more.

Back in my childhood and early adolescence time, I memorized all the ministers, knew almost every single composer of almost every National songs, and of course what part of the country produces what. I grew up being aware with all the museums and historical places in Jakarta, (understand the history quite well) and visit them often! Strange thing is, I now work in a tourism industry, but, do I have the same interest to any of that stuff anymore? Not.so.much...

That’s how I realized, I should change this attitude. This “understanding”. This ignorance.
Now, just take one simple example. How many of you ( again, my fellow Indonesian friends) have this picture- posing in front of the iconic Universal Studio? A lot, I bet!
But, how many of you have a picture of your self, beaming a proud smile in front of our very own landmark;  Monas- The National Monument
Another confession, my last visit to Monas was almost 15 years ago. 

Today, as my Mom told me that she, my Grandma and my sisters are taking may 4 y/o nephew to Monas, I feel so ashamed of myself for being so ignorant these couple of (decades…) about the interesting historical places in this country, about the achievements of our sports team, about the people who really are playing their genuine part for the government (Oh how I hope there still are people like that)
Can you see how lucky I am?  To have parents who will always remind me that the most important things in life- is not merely about keeping up with the new fancy things this world has to offer? You can go back to visit “the past” once a in a while; to appreciate the comfort you are now living, to honor your ancestors, or to support your government, even… Or  to inherit what you and your future generation really deserve. You can do more than just complaining…

Is that going to make a significant or a big difference to the world?
Maybe not. But, at the very least,  it changed me. It changed the way my nephew sees the world in front of him. Later on that day, he said “My heart was pounding because we went to the top ! Monas is just amazing, I want to go there again!”

In a longer haul, my friend... it will change the way our children think of this one Emerald of the Equator .
After all, isn't that what we have been demanding about? Changes?

ps: You can have my word; on my next trip to Jakarta, I will go to Monas, scanning all the dioramas and take a proud picture afterward.

Joseph Kiyoshi in front of the National Monument
With Aunt Detri, looking over Jakarta from the top


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...