Aug 28, 2011

I Have a Dream. Says the King

This post is to commemorate and to honor the day where Martin Luther King delivered the world  shattering speech; I have a dream.
"I Have a Dream" is a 17-minute public speech by Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered on August 28, 1963, in which he called for racial equality and an end to discrimination. According to U.S. Representative John Lewis, who also spoke that day as the President of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, "Dr. King had the power, the ability, and the capacity to transform those steps on the Lincoln Memorial into a monumental area that will forever be recognized. By speaking the way he did, he educated, he inspired, he informed not just the people there, but people throughout America and unborn generations."

Now if only by reading this and re orchestrating the event in my mind, I can get all goosebumps in an awe, can you imagine what was it like back in that particular day?

I have a dream today!
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
I have a dream today!
I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.




King unveiled: The statue of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is seen unveiled from scaffolding during the soft opening of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial in Washington, Monday. The memorial will be dedicated Sunday, Aug. 28. (AP/Jacquelyn Martin)
Source: Wikipedia. Image credit : Above; unknown/ Below;  The Jakarta Post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...