Nov 2, 2020

Canine Epilepsy Journey

Against all odds, we got to celebrate Marilyn's 8th birthday last October. It was simple, sweet, filled with cuddles and treats. We even got wishes from all across the world. Some of you might have been following her story for years, and even connect with me in some ways (thank you, all of you my IG friends with an epileptic baby in tow). 

Here's a medical update: 

When she turned six, our vet has laid out all the truth and some hard to grasp reality. I have come to accept it. Her regular Phenobarbital 30/60mg will no longer distance the seizure as effectively as it used to, nor will those electro acupuncture. To avoid a lurking kidney failure, we tried to alternate her medicine with herbal drops- Cuprum 30 (copper), and she seemed to respond quite well until two months ago... Today, we'd be lucky if she has no seizure for a day.

Everyday, I am feeling like walking on an eggshell because a slight change of emotion can now effect her harshly. 

Soppy story aside, she still is the same goofy girl that I love, and I have told her (with tears streaming down my cheeks), that I will not force her to stay strong for me... if that day comes, she can bring some parts of my shattered heart with her. I promise to be a little bit braver than I am today.

Last week, I wrote a short note for all of you parents out there dotting a kid with a special need, something that I hope can ease your pain a little bit:

To parents and pawrents out there, with a special kid in tow
Who sometimes feel the need to hide their sorrow and putting on a game face on when their heart is on the floor

During one of the hardest nights, when you are cradling your baby through the most difficult hours...
Try to look into their eyes

Trust me
They think... you, are magic




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...