Mar 18, 2015

Sophia, the youngest feminist to date

Sophia Trow (8 y.o) and her mother, Jane, went to a Clarks retail store in England to purchase a pair of Stomposaurus shoes. It's "just" and awesome collection, featuring little dinosaurs fit for any adventurer or a Ross Geller wanna be. 

There was just one problem... the shoes were labeled as boys’ shoes. When Sophia claimed that she wanted them, the sales clerk immediately told her that they aren’t made for “feminine bone structure.” 
I am pretty sure Sophia rolled her eyes (like any feminist would) when being told so because she wrote the following letter (see image at the bottom)
It is reported that Sophia went on to explain, “I don’t like how girls just have to like pink and purple – I like blue and science and fossils. Clarks should learn what girls really want and do something about it.”
Supporting her strong daughter, Jane tweeted it to Clarks. “I want my children to have options,” she said. “I don’t want them hampered by expectations that tell them how they should behave as girls – I want them to be able to do whatever they want to do and become strong women." to which Clarks responded with “We are sorry to hear that Sophia was informed these shoes aren’t suitable for girls. The Stomposaurus range can safely be worn by all children. We are also developing a broader range of unisex styles which will be available from Autumn/Winter this year.”
Kudos, Sophia! And I am sure you are going to end up doing great things, like this girl, and this boy
Just wondering tho... maybe you and I would like to start a petition so Clarks would make these Stomposaurus shoes in adult sizes too?
PS: That one cute nerd: Sophia Trow and THAT SHOES!
Also, have you seen this campaign : #LikeaGirl ? (I almost cried... since, am a girl, obvs!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...