Aug 4, 2024

On Career and Style

Since I made a significant career change in 2018, things haven't been easy. But I know it was one of the best decisions I've ever made! 

Despite facing challenges, I'm still here (with my first published book about to go for a second print!), maintaining a steady relationship with my retainer clients, and setting healthy boundaries with ex-clients (no bridges burnt).  

Lately, I've been reading career tips to boost my creativity and evaluate if there's more I can do to improve. You know, the usual questions: Am I being productive enough? Will this self-employed path sustain me? Should I always dress up even when I work from home? Why can't my dogs stay quiet whenever I am on a work call?

The most pressing question that comes up from time to time is: "Am I charging my clients fairly or sometimes too low?" If you've been wondering the same, particularly the latter part, here's something reassuring to read.

As for the dress up part, it's a yes for me. 


Emily Henderson, Stylist and Interior Designer

There is something inside us, especially women, that tells us that if our work is something we love to do it should somehow be worth less. But, the exact opposite is true: the more you love to do something, the easier you make it look, the faster you are at it, the more VALUABLE you are because of your passion. So, while we all love to get paid in kisses, praise and genuine appreciation, know that Our talent, skills, and expertise are worth banknotes (The Business of Design)

Maintaining a certain standard guides us on how to determine our rates and how to approach otherwise uncomfortable dealing situations a.k.a when to say no when it does not meet your time and skills. 

(Kebaya top from Sejauh Mata Memandang , Dragon hand-painted sarong from Awesome Lasem, Shoes from MKS's Shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...